The Cannabis Act came into effect on October 17, 2018, following the passing of Bill C-45 in June of this year in Canada’s Senate. The Cannabis Act is designed to better protect the health and safety of Canadians, to keep cannabis out of the hands of youth and to keep profits out of the hands of criminals and organized crime.
As a legal cannabis retail store, Mood Cannabis Co. operates under the regulations of The Cannabis Act, and honors the legislation by:
- Restricting the sale of legal cannabis to those of legal age in the Province of British Columbia (19+);
- Understanding that The Cannabis Act includes strict penalties for selling or providing cannabis to youth under the legal age;
Providing legal cannabis that has an excise stamp appearing in different colours in accordance to the Province of British Columbia and our territory of operation;
- Providing information on the safe consumption of cannabis through cannabis education and helping individuals understand the health effects of cannabis use. We understand that like alcohol and tobacco, cannabis has risks, especially for youth and young adults;
- Spreading information about cannabis-impaired driving and the effects of cannabis at work. We help consumers understand that cannabis can impair their ability to operate vehicles or equipment safely. We understand and promote the laws around driving while impaired by cannabis as a serious criminal offence;
- Providing customers products to store their cannabis away from children, youth and pets;
- Helping our customers recognize that it’s illegal to take cannabis across the Canadian border, whether you’re leaving or coming to Canada. This applies to all countries, whether cannabis is legal or not;
- Recognizing that under The Cannabis Act, access to cannabis for medical purposes will continue to be provided to those who are authorized by their healthcare practitioner.
To learn more about the Cannabis Act, in effect as of October 17, 2018, and the health effects of cannabis, visit: www.Canada.ca/Cannabis or call 1 800 O-Canada.